Wednesday 7 October 2015

Marmite Music

While having my lunch today I listened once again to Cameron Carpenter performing his version of the J S Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor at the Royal Albert Hall https://youtu.be/JVccUxvk9aY. It reminded me of my feelings about Marmite! I'm perhaps a little unusual in that I'm never quite sure whether I like or dislike Marmite. Usually when I try it I decide I'm not that keen on it but I'm always curious to have a taste and I don't think I've ever totally decided that I dislike it!

 My views on Carpenter's performance are very similar. In some ways I like it: It is certainly virtuosic and shows off many of the colours of the famous Royal Albert Hall organ. Having played the organ myself I can also appreciate that there is so much to explore on what is this country's second largest organ and many of the softer sounds are not easy to hear from the console so you have to register music as if you are listening to it from the auditorium.  At the same time though I'm also put off by Carpenter's frequent changes of stops which seem to keep breaking the music up rather than allowing it to flow as surely Bach intended.  If you look at the comments in the youtube video you'll notice people either love or hate Carpenter's performance, a bit like most people's views on Marmite. However, I have to say that just like with Marmite, I'm not sure! Part of me is curious about it and therefore I'm sure its a recording I will listen to again in the future and I'm fairly sure I'll continue to remain undecided in my views on it! Maybe its just me being indecisive!

No comments:

Post a Comment