Thursday 12 November 2015

Interpretation

I'm currently working on Mozart's Sonata in C K 279 for a concert on 22 November and thought I'd share some thoughts about how I work out the interpretation of the music.  There are so many points to consider:  

How will I shape each phrase?  
How will I play the ornaments?  
What tempi will I choose for the different movements?  
Have I got the right balance between melody and accompaniment?  
Will I do the repeats?  
Will I add embellishments to the repeats?
...

In my practise time I'll often try phrases out in many different ways to find what I feel works best.  I'll be trying to bear in mind the instruments Mozart would have performed on and how they differ from our modern pianos and I'll be thinking about the performance practise of Mozart's time.  At the same time, I'll also be trying to work out what mood or emotion Mozart is trying to get across in the music.  Is it humorous, sad, joyful, contemplative...?  I also find so much of Mozart's piano music is very orchestral in character and therefore I often think in terms of orchestral instruments.  

These are just a few thoughts I have when approaching a piece of music.  It can often take some time to work out exactly how to interpret a work and of course my interpretation can evolve and develop over many years. 



No comments:

Post a Comment