Thursday 19 November 2015

Memorising Mozart

I am currently practising Mozart's Sonata in C K.279 for a concert this weekend and for the last few weeks all my practising has been from memory.  However, earlier this week I had a phone call which came just at the end of the second movement.  When I went back to practise the third movement I kept having memory slips even though I've been playing it for weeks without any memory problems at all! I then realised that I had been practising the third movement after the second and maybe my brain needed the connection between the movements in order to ensure I would memorise it correctly?  So, for the last couple of days I've been practising the movements in reverse order, starting with the third movement just to ensure the memory is really secure ready for the concert on Sunday.  Its strange how you can feel that you know a piece really thoroughly and then something like this can lead to memory problems!

One thing I like to do before a concert to ensure I know the pieces really well from memory is to practise away from the instrument.  Often its in the car while driving.  I simply go through the music in my mind and picture myself playing the piece.  If I can do this I find its a really good test as to whether I really know the piece well enough from memory.

Do you have any hints on memorising music?  Any ways you practise to ensure you know pieces from memory?  Feel free to leave comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment